Why (or when) someone would need this service?
In order to ensure that a client’s assets pass on their death in accordance with their wishes.
Preparing a Will offers peace of mind and will ensure that following a person’s death, matters concerning their estate have already been considered and should be dealt with in a straightforward and prompt manner. A well drafted Will can also mitigate the effects of any inheritance tax that would ordinarily be payable.
How does the process work/what are the steps?
Clients are invited to attend our offices for a meeting to discuss their wishes. We are equally happy to discuss matters over the telephone or by email. Alternatively, we can meet at a client’s home if that is more convenient to them. In emergencies, we can also attend clients in hospital.
We shall draft the Will in accordance with the client’s requirements. The client will, of course have an opportunity to approve or amend the Will prior to signing. Once the client is happy with the Will, it can be engrossed and signed. We are usually requested to store the Will in our firm’s storage facility for safekeeping, which we do at no extra cost.
How long is the legal process when writing a will?
For a straightforward matter, a Will can be completed within a week from initial instructions to execution of the Will. If there is a particular urgency, a Will can be drafted and signed within a working day, if required.
Is it expensive?
We are usually able to provide a fixed fee service for the drafting of most Wills. Please call or email us for a quotation.
What are the things people should consider before calling?
Clients should consider the following:
- Who they would like to appoint as their executors. That is the person(s) appointed to ensure that the terms of their Will are followed. Many of our clients nominate this firm to act in this capacity.
- The appointment of guardians of their children (if there are any children who are under 18 at the time of their death).
- Those persons they would like to benefit under the Will.
- Any gifts of specific items or money they would like to leave.
- It would also be helpful if the client could provide us with a rough estimate of the value of their assets so that we can provide you with any relevent inheritance tax advice.
Why are Grant Saw the best people for the job?
We have an experienced team of solicitors who are able to prepare a Will to suit your personal requirements.